Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Today we Met Ebba!

But first we had to get here .. which is no simple feat. Finally left
Heathrow at 9 pm Monday, after many loops of Terminal 3, two meals (not bad
- but v expensive!), and one fire alarm which meant we had to evacuate part
of the airport.

The flight from London to heathrow was long ... we left about half an hour
late, and arrived in Addis at about 8 am. The seats were tight with barely
adequate legroom, and no real room to move. And neither of us slept in any
meaningful way. My back, butt, legs, and shoulders were seized by the time
we landed ... ah well. We got here safely, with all our bags, and all is
well.

We went thru the airport formalities: visa, declaring our foreign currency,
security, etc. Met Solomon (adoption agency contact) - who gave us flowers!
- and then proceeded to the Weygoss guest house for some breakfast
(scrambled eggs with some veg and toast with butter and marmalade - both
yummy!) - then crashed for a few hours and had a much-needed shower!

Solomon picked us up at 2:30 to proceed to the see Ebba. First we went to
the agency's head office, and met the Director. We chatted with him for a
while, and received Ebba's documents: passport, birth certificate and court
docs. The we drove to the Baby House.

Driving in Addis warrants its own paragraph. The lines on the roads - even
the two sides of a divided road - seem to be merely suggestions, rather than
must-dos! There are nice paved roads, and some pretty terrible pot-holed,
cobble-stoned affairs. The back streets are windy and narrow, with people
and animals all over, but drivers and pedestrians (and animals) seem to have
som sort of understanding, for despite several close calls (at least
according to us), everyone seems to co-exist quite safely. There is
livestock by the roadsides, grazing on the medians, and even in the streets:
flocks of sheep and goats, donkeys (loose and carrying packs - no halters),
and some even some small humped cattle ...

Finally, we got to meet Ebba. I walked into the room she shares with several
other babies, where she was standing in her crib, wearing a pretty pink
dress and head scarf, and she promptly wailed at the site of me. But, she
was immediately comforted by one of the caregivers. I gave her two small
toys (one beaded teething loop, and the other a plastic ball kinda of like a
geodesioc dome) - which she took one in each hand in a death-grip as she sat
in my lap, trying steadfastly to preted I didn't exist. Every now and then
she'd take a BIG BREATH in and out - I once went to a horse training course
that referred to that as "letting out the butteflies" and it seemed to fit.
We stayed about 2 hrs. I took photos of her with her caregivers, her crib.
As the time wore on she became much more comfortable with me, even giving a
half-smile when I lightly blew on her neck. By the time I left, she would
come to me (walking!) when I offered a hand, and raise her arms for me to
pick her up when I offered. We played the "hand the toy back and forth
game", and when I finally put her back in her crib, she cried.

She is beautiful ... even moreso than the photos. Her eyes are wide and
expressive, her smile is lovely. She has four teeth (two up and two down).
She appears very healthy, with maybe a bit of a chest cold (which I will
watch closely and maybe get checked out). She has a cute little nose -
flatter in profile than her pictures suggest - but adorable.

I know that everyone who has returend from visiting these baby facilities
raves about how wonderful the staff are, how the babies are loved and cared
for - and I must reiterate it. All of the people we met today were
obviously committed to the children in their care, and showed a wonderful
level of love and dedication.

Solomon said that there are currently 70 babies in the baby house (we have
not yet seen the toddler house - tomorrow). We saw several very young
babies, so I expect there are referrals yet to come! I did seek out several
of the babies on my list of babies to check up on - not all were available
(a couple were out having their vaccinations, and others are in the toddler
house which we haven't visited yet). I don't have my list of notes with me,
but will try to post that tomorrow. Please rest assured that they alll look
great!

I am going to turn in - it's almost 10 pm and it's been a long few days to
get to this point. Tomorrow we go back to the BH in the am, and will be
able to take Ebba with us. Then the parenting adventure begins in earnest!

14 comments:

  1. This is so incredible! What an amazing Christmas gift! Enjoy every moment! :)

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. At last! Ebba sounds great -- can't wait to see pix of her with you -- and pix of everything. Keep us posted, rest well, and love to Andrea, the best friend we all should have. Love, Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. COngrats on getting to finally hold your precious little one. I can't wait to hear the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. COngrats on getting to finally hold your precious little one. I can't wait to hear the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How Amazing!!! I love your whole story. Keep it all coming Allison! What a precious gift!

    Jenny
    Kalkidans Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Allison! You're there! You're really there!

    I'm savouring every word. It is clear that you are savouring every moment. Take care - can't wait to hear that Ebba is back in your arms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allison, Glad to hear the trip was a smooth one. So happy you finally got to hold Ebba, so exciting- can't wait to hear more of your time together and time in Addis.Take care
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Allison! I'm glad Ebba warmed up to you so nicely on day one. Owen screamed at me all of our 1st visit and I was so afraid day 2 would be the same! Mady reacted more like your Ebba though...
    Keep the posts coming it's so great to re-live our time in Ethiopia through you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Allison,

    Congratulations on finally getting to meet and hold your daughter!
    Thanks for sharing your adventure with us who are still waiting to travel....

    Deanna
    Clara's mom
    Waiting for court

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting to finally lay eyes on your daughter!!!! Congratulations! Enjoy every second (even the tough ones) and remember how hard it was being in Canada waiting for Ebba.

    Cheers,
    Rhonda
    Mommy to Eden still in Ethiopia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! That is so very exciting, I am holding my breath for the next installment :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats and SO happy for you..I am currently awaiting my court date and your posts make me so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing this- it is great to read about your journey while waiting to meet our little ones. Enjoy every second....
    Alison Smith
    Mommy to Kibrom Adama- still in Ethiopia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your journey with us! I can't wait to see pictures. If you happen to see Yabsira Zalalem tell he is very, very loved!
    xox Leah

    ReplyDelete