Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sat & Sun in Addis

Sorry I didn't write yesterday - it was a fairly busy day, and by the end of it, Ebba was tired & difficult, I was frazzled, and it wasn't pretty.

Yesterday am we went to Entoto, which is a big hill overlooking Addis (half-hour drive?). There is a big church up there and a museum. Lovely view. Many donkeys and people carrying loads of hay and fuel (cow dung & wood) on their backs. Looks brutal whether they were going up or down!.

Actually, I have to admit that the donkeys and sheep/goats here all look pretty good. Good flesh, no obvious sores from packs etc - so am relieved by that.

Then we did some more shopping, drove around the grounds of the Sheraton (after having the bottom of our van checked for explosives; truly another world.) Bought: traditional music CDs, a wall hanging, few more gifts. Things are pretty cheap here: CDs - 35 Birr ea - which is roughly 3.50.

Ebba is very good in the carrier - she sleeps in it, or just snuggles, and seems not to mind it at all. The bumpy Addis roads help put all the babies to sleep.

At the end of all that, we went back to the hotel, gave Ebba a bottle (she's sneering at cereal - but loves the bottle), which she promptly spit up ALL OVER me. Then, we tried going around the corner for supper with Andrew and the feeling-much-better Cristina (thank goodness for modern pharmaceuticals!), thinking I had enough time before the next bottle was due to squeeze in my own meal. Mistake. Ebba threw things from the table, banged spoons (loudly) on the metal ashtray, and when I tried to walk her about, fussed, whined, and was generally miserable. When she is frustrated/tired/hungry, she sometimes hits me in the face - which I don't appreciate - so I took my food to go, and went bach to the GH to give her a
bottle and put her to sleep. She was out in a matter of minutes, thankfully. And, also thankfully, she is sleeping through the night. So, I was pretty freaked out by it all ... in retrospect it was my own bad planning, but nonetheless it was a rough night for me, wondering what I had gotten myself into.

This morning (Sunday), I tried to approach things with a fresh outlook, but was feeling pretty homesick (still am). Ebba is doing better - I suspect she simply wears down through the day; this is a big adjustment all 'round. She seems to be learning not to YANK on my earrings, and the word "gentle". I have also learned the Amharic words for "no" and "come" - with good results.

This am we went to the International Evangelical Church (!) for their
Christmas service .. carols, mostly, and a play - I left nr the end to
diaper and bottle. Then we tried (again) to confirm our flights/seats for the trip home, but the airline office was closed. Tomorrow.

Back at the GH, I finally had time to contact Sandra's friend, Mesfin, to go and visit a little girl she helps with school. She wasn't home - so maybe tomorrow aft. In the am, we are scheduled to visit the orphanage that Ebba lived at before going to the KidsLink facility, confirm our flights, and make a last shopping stop for textiles (scarves, trad clothes, etc).

Right now it is about 5 pm - Auntie Andrea is watching Ebba so I can do this now instead of after she goes to bed. I am feeling a little unwell today, and hope it is just tired/stress/altitude/jetlag/whatever, and nothing more.

Getting eager to get home and get back to normal. OK - the New Normal.

TTYL,

A.

3 comments:

  1. It has been really great following your trip posts! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also really enjoying your posts. I can hear the exhaustion through your email. Don't worry, it will get better. We came home 3 and a half months ago with our 4 year old. That first week with her in Addis was the hardest week in my life. She pushed us so hard and we did our best to get up again and show her we were in for the long haul. I too wondered what the hell we had done. Now only 3 months later, I would do it all again tomorrow. She is a wonderful, wonderful girl and that child we first met is not the same child as she is now. It will get way better and don't feel bad for the horrible thoughts you might have. They will end.
    Take care and hope this wasn't too direct. I just know that hearing other children spaz and cry when we were in Ethiopia was like music to my ears because I knew it was hard for them too. I want you to feel that too
    love, Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. everyone will adjust in stages. tonite i thanked my little ones for being willing to oooh and ahhh over neighborhood xmas lights while the big ones played their game boys in the back seat. New kids are such a welcome addition!! As for last week, i was singing a different tune. it ain't easy!

    am loving your blog and counting the days, sk

    ReplyDelete