Thursday, December 18, 2008

Addis Day 3

Here we are ... 24+ hrs together! Ebba slept thru the night like adream - I,
however, was in Fussy-Mommy mode and stared at the ceiling untilk about 2 am
-- refkecting on life, the universe & everything ... Ah well.

This am we had breakfast in the room - the guest house does very nce,
slightly spicy scrambled eggs, with toast, We ordered porridge for Ebba,
which she seemed to like.

After breakfast, we went with Solomon and Andrew & Christina back to the
Baby House - they were picking up their son, and we had some gifts for the
caregivers. I was hesitant about Ebba seeing all her nannies again (and the
confusion it might trigger), so planned to stay in the lobby. Which worked
until a nurse swept thru, announcing the Ebba would like to see her frends,
and took her upstairs. I gave them a few minutes, and then went in search -
and was told that Ebba would have lunch with her friends ... so the best I
could do was to positoin myself so she could see me while being fed, and try
to explain that she had recently eaten, which was maybe why she didn't
appear hungry. One of the nurses asked, "What happened to her"?" Great.

It took Ebba most of the day to get back to where we had been .. and I think
by tomorrow we should be ok. Hard to begrudge the nannies wanting to see her
again, and I didn't want to offend ... but for those of you yet to travel,
you may want to decline trips back after you have "taken possession". We
spent a quiet afternoon otherwise (walk, nap) and will eat in.

All in all however, she is doing grea and has made great strides. She is
curious and determined, with a good smile, and many cute & coy looks. She is
eating well, has pooped (yay!), and I think will settle in fine.

I will post Andrea's msg on today, as I am trying to type with a tired kid
in the carrier - and a tired mom at the keyboard.

More later!

5 comments:

  1. Allison - you are such an inspiration. I cannot IMAGINE the mental toughness it must take to deal with all of this in a strange country. Spicy eggs?! By the way, is it really hot there? Humid? - Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice on the return visit. Glad to hear things are going well for you otherwise. I can not wait to see some photos of the two of you in ET and family once home. Try to sleep - when Ebba sleeps! Even if hard with so many thoughts racing and strange environment. Have an amazing remainder of your stay- following this is so exciting!
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to hear that things are going well and Ebba is adjusting nicely with you! Thanks for the advice about reconsidering return trips to the TH...I've never thought about that before. Continued safe journeys! Enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing everyday. I look forward to your updates everyday. I'm happy to hear you are all settling well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. our kids didnt want to go back either! loving your posts and counting the days to your return, sk

    ReplyDelete