Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Addis Day 2 - We are Together!

Last night we slept like rocks, and awoke to the alarm at about 8, had
breakfast in the lobby and went hunting for stationery so I could write
letters of thanks to the staff at the Baby House ... seems a small gesture
in the face of what they do. Will also send them some sweets and maybe some
"girl stuff" treats (soaps, etc).

At 10:30 we met up with Andrew & Christina, from Guelph, who were arrived
late last night and met their son Yared for the first time today. We went
with them to the Kids Link head office again, and while they met with the
Director, we got a chance to visit with the toddlers in the Toddler House.
They were in class - they are taught basics in English: ABCs, math, songs,
etc. There were about 15-18 children (several sibling groups) and they were
all SO eager for us to talk to them, draw things for them, and be with them.
We were so impressed with it all. These kids are being so well equipped to
transition as smoothly as possible to their new families in Canada.

After that, we went to the Baby House, where I video-ed C&A meeting Yared,
then went and met Ebba again. She cried when I arrived, but only briefly,
and was willing to come up in my arms when I offered. We had another coffee
ceremony (STRONG!), and then I met with the nurse to learn all about
feeding, napping, bathing, etc.

After a couple of hours, we came back to the Weygoss, via a couple of
grocery stores to get formula etc. Ebba fell asleep in my arms during the
bumpy car ride back. In our room, she had some juice (but is not super-keen
on the transitonal bottle/sippy-cup thing I brought), and her first
Cheerios. Then Andrea and I went out in search of a true baby bottle (bought
two) and hair elastics. Yes, Mei Le has a zillion at home, but I didn't
even think to bring any with me and Ebba has her hair in cute little
double-backed pony tails - about 12 of them.

Really feel the altitude - even a short walk, with baby strapped on, leaves
me puffing. I know I'm not in the best shape, but Andrea is feeling teh
same, and even the much more fit A&C are finding it a bit hard. And the
considerable pollution doesn't help - leaves your throat sore, your eyes
watering, and your nose stuffy.

Then, back to the Guest House, boiled water for cereal & formula, and met
A&C for supper at the Blue Nile - across the st from Weygoss. Food was good
(I had spinach ravioli w/tomato sauce)but not as good as last night, IMHO.

Finally, back home, gave Ebba abottle, and she conked out immed after @ 9
pm. I puttered for an hour or so, trying to org the room, boiling more
water, and am now in the office while Auntie Andrea watches the sleeping
bundle.

Thanks to all for your good wishes - dial-up makes it slow to read indiv
msgs - so I won't really be able to reply to each one - but please know it's
appreciated!

I will next post Andrea's take on today, then a separate post about the
other babies we met.

2 comments:

  1. So happy to hear that you have your daughter in your arms. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with all of us back home. All of your colorful descriptions make it seem more real that someday, I will be there too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like everything with the little one is going really well - I'm so happy for you! Big cousins K & T are enjoying the updates. Glad to hear how friendly the children are, and about the good care they receive. Wondering: is Ebba as tall as we suspected? Clothes fit? Can't wait to see her! Give her a squeeze from us. Hi to Andrea! Love, Erica

    ReplyDelete